Insight. Experience. Results.
Situated at the intersection of Broadway and Wall Street, criminal defense and civil trial attorney Harvey Fishbein and his legal team offer the knowledge, resources, and commitment necessary for addressing your legal issues, no matter how challenging. For over 40 years, he has successfully represented thousands of clients – from large companies to everyday individuals – confronted with serious charges related to a variety of white-collar and violent crimes in both federal and state courts.
Background & Experience
Since 1973, criminal defense attorney Harvey Fishbein has been practicing law in New York federal and state courts. A seasoned and resourceful litigator, Harvey’s clients rely on him to handle their most sensitive, complex, and potentially explosive criminal allegations.
Soon after graduating with honors from the National Law Center at The George Washington University in 1972, Harvey joined the Legal Aid Society, Criminal Defense Division. He has been in private practice since 1984.
Recognized as a leader in criminal defense in New York City, Harvey served two terms as President of the New York Criminal Bar Association from 2003-2005, and is presently a member of the Executive Committee, Criminal Justice Section, New York State Bar Association. He has lectured, taught and mentored lawyers and law students on various aspects of criminal defense practice, including ethics and the psychiatric defense.
As part of his continuing commitment to pro bono activities that advocate quality representation for indigents, Harvey serves as Chair of the Central Screening Committee for the Assigned Counsel Plan. There he oversees all attorneys appointed to represent indigent criminal defendants in New York County and Bronx County. He is also a member of the Federal Court Capital Panel, representing indigent clients facing the death penalty.
A native New Yorker and an avid sports fan, Harvey is also a dedicated runner who has run numerous marathons, including the New York City Marathon ten times.
Honors & Accomplishments
- 1999 – Present
- Chair of Central Screening Committee, Appellate Division, First Department
A member since 1994, the Committee oversees attorneys who are qualified to be appointed to represent indigent criminal defendants in New York County and Bronx County. It reviews applications and monitors the competency and ethics of approved attorneys.
- 2010 – Present
- Member, Executive Committee, Criminal Justice
Section, New York State Bar Association Serves as an advisor regarding criminal justice issues.
- 2003 – 2005
- President, New York Criminal Bar Association
Responsible for leading a not-for-profit association organized to protect and preserve the rights of individuals accused of crimes and to serve as a unifying force for criminal defense lawyers in the New York City metropolitan area.
Rankings & Recognition
- Martindale-Hubbell Rating: AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5
- The Martindale-Hubbell Rating serves as an objective indicator that a lawyer has the highest ethical standards and professional ability and are used by buyers of legal services to make more informed hiring decisions.
- New York Super Lawyers
- Criminal Defense (2009, 2010. 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014)
Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The selection process is multi-phased and includes independent research, peer nominations and peer evaluations.
- Regular lecturer for legal education programs affiliated with the New York State Bar
- First Department Appellate Division Psychiatric Defense and Ethics
- Regularly participates in Legal Training Programs at Cardozo Law School and New York Law School, National Institute of Trial Advocacy
- Approved in Federal Court and NY State to defend persons charged in death penalty matters
- Volunteers as a mentor for attorneys trying to become members of the Criminal Justice Act Panel for the Federal Courts in the Southern District of New York